The Mills Institute


The Mills Institute was located at the site now occupied by a parking structure on the Makai-Ewa side of Chaplain Lane and Bethel Street.

In 1892, under Pastor Frank Damon,  the Mills Institute is opened at his home on Chaplain Lane. Five Chinese and one Japanese were his first students. His school gradually outgrew its downtown quarters and was moved to Manoa, and finally combined with the Chinese girls from Kawaiahao Girls’ Seminary to become the Mid-Pacific Institute.